Part-time French speaking Office and Venue Manager in a central London Church
We are the French Protestant Church of London, on Soho Square, and we are recruiting!
The French Protestant Church of London is a Reformed / Presbyterian church dedicated to the French-speaking community of London since 1550. It is the last remaining Huguenot church of London. You would be working in an office within our church, a Grade II* listed building designed by Aston Webb (V&A, Buckingham Palace). Quite a special place. Our vocation is to grow and radiate outside of purely spiritual boundaries, so we can have a welcoming approach to anyone.
We are now looking for an Office and Venue Manager who will adhere to our values of tolerance, joy, perseverance and integrity. We welcome anyone who has empathy with the Huguenot heritage and lives our values, whether of Christian faith, another faith or no faith.
You will play a key part in putting the Church at the crossroad of its dual heritage: both the active place of worship of the London French speaking protestant communities and one of the key buildings of the Huguenot refuge.
You will need to be an all-rounder: someone who will be just as at ease developing our rental activity from scratch as looking after office management tasks for the successful day-to-day running of the Church.
What your role will be:
Rental activity development
- To develop our rental activity, in order to protect our financial sustainability and ensure the future of the French Protestant Church. We have just refurbished the church, raising and spending £1,2 million to guarantee its survival for centuries to come.
- To develop a marketing and financial strategy to fill the space up. You will be in charge of identifying our target population, recommending appropriate pricing and managing the space occupancy.
- To build a system to keep track of what we do and build contingency plans (knowledge management)
Venue and Office Management
- To open our church to local charities, historical societies and business so they can make the most of our space for their own events, conferences or meetings in a prime and central location.
- To share our wealth of history by providing access to our unique collection of rare books and manuscripts
- To identify event management agencies to work in partnership with so that we can closely work with a few dedicated suppliers
- To organise cultural events, e.g. conferences, book clubs, film showings
- To look after administrative tasks related to the offices rent (e.g. looking after rental contracts, accounting, invoices, filing, coordinating plumbers, cleaning and other services) and the Church functioning (issuing baptism certificates, looking after donation gift aids)
- To welcome visitors and guests, showing them round the building
- To help coordinate the Board of Trustees meeting
- To share our monthly newsletter, as well as our fundraising letter
- To advertise for our cultural events
- To develop our social media presence, currently mainly on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- To keep our website live, using WordPress
What you’ll need to be successful in this role:
To be happy and successful in this role, you will need to:
- Be a self-starter, proactive and independent. We are looking for someone who enjoys working without close supervision and use their initiative
- Speak French like a Native – we will prioritise candidates who are fluent in English and French
- Have a real appetite for business development/cold-calling. Previous business development experience is a plus.
- Have excellent planning and organisational skills
- Be comfortable using Microsoft Office, including a good grasp of Excel and Word (Microsoft Office) and ideally a good working knowledge of Mailchimp and WordPress
Who will your key stakeholders be
Although you will be working independently, you will need the ability to engage with a wide range of internal and external contacts, being a great ambassador for the Church:
- French pastor and his wife
- Board of Trustees
- French media
- French charities in London, including the Fédération des Associations Françaises en Grande-Bretagne
- Local partners (e.g. City of Westminster, Soho Square, Soho society, local churches) so we can immerse ourselves in the local community even more
- Event management agencies
- Government pension-scheme
- Annual leave – 25 days holidays (pro-rated)
- A lump sum for benefits
- Time off for training, e.g through the Charity Commission
- Attractive salary
We are committed to diversity and offer flexible working options.
If you enjoy working things out from a blank page and are keen to be part of a meaningful mission, then we’d love to hear from you. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, answering the following:
- What attracts you to work for the French Protestant Church?
- What makes you the right applicant for the Office and Venue Manager role?
- Why is this role the right next step for you?
Applications close on Monday 20th April 2020, with the successful candidate ideallystarting on Monday 1st June 2020, so get your skates on.